With all of the talk about electric bikes lately, we thought we would take the time to explain what they are and why you should buy your first e-bike. Keep reading to learn more…
What Is An ‘E-Bike’?
So what exactly is an ‘e-bike’? E-bikes, also known as ‘EAPC’s (Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles) or ‘Pedelecs’, are basically that.
An electrically powered bicycle which also has the ability to be human powered via the traditional pedalling methods we all learned as a child.
There are a wide range of different types and brands of e-bike on the market, but they all have a similar electric motor, gearbox, and battery configuration.
Here Are Just Some Of The Benefits Of Riding An E-bike:
- Travel faster – With the electric motor providing assistance as you pedal, you’ll soon get up to cruising speed. You can rack up good speeds without pedalling viciously, meaning fast cycling with minimal effort.
- Travel further – Say goodbye to tired legs! E-bikes help you cover the miles without tiring you out, because the electric motor takes a lot of the effort out of pedalling. You’ll be sailing along, gently pedalling without realising you’re cycling so far.
- Get fit and healthy – There’s a common misconception that, because e-bikes make cycling easier, they aren’t as good as regular bikes for getting fit and healthy. But the truth is the opposite! Study after study has shown that people still get a great workout riding an e-bike.
- Cycle more often – If you often wish you cycled more, but find the willpower lacking, e-bikes could be the answer. A small study in Boulder, Colorado, in 2016 found that a month of commuting on an e-bike improved fitness and blood sugar levels.
- Revolutionise your commute – There’s the fantasy of a conventional bike ride into work (showing up fresh as a daisy, right on time) and the reality of a standard bike commute (harried sprints upon realising you’re not the Tour de France biker you thought you were, trying to hide your sweaty pits from your boss). But a commute on an electric bike turns that fantasy into a reality. Mate City available today for immediate delivery!
View all products
Is it legal to ride a MATE bike on the street?
250 w motor is legal in the UK. In the UK, the 750 w is legal when riding on private property (not public road).
What kind of accessories do you currently have or can I expect in the near future?
We currently offer a DMR V8 Classic Pedal, Vee Tire inner tube 20″ x 4″, Vee Tire Mission Command 20″ x 4″ Fat Tire and the Vee Tire Speedster 20″ x 4″ Fat Tire. We are working to develop more accessories and modifications. Stay tuned for more information. Feel free to let us know what kind of accessories you’d be most interested in seeing.
How much weight can MATE handle?
MATE is built strong and can handle riders up to 150kg with ease.
How do I stay safe?
They’re heaps of fun to ride, can be a great way to save money and are the future of travel, but if you’re looking to make the most of your electric bike, there are certain rules to follow and some useful tips to know about…
- Always protect your head
- Stay visible
- Obey the traffic laws
- Wear appropriate clothing
- Stay alert to obstacles / don’t get distracted
How easy is the MATE to assemble?
MATE comes delivered with instructions in safely packed box and requires minimal assembly. If you don’t have much experience with bikes, we recommend that you visit your local bike shop to get all parts tightened and thoroughly checked.
At matebike.uk we understand that not everyone is comfortable assembling there own bike. For this reason we can provide a pre-assembly service for you. Click here for more info.
What Is CycleScheme?
Cyclescheme lets you pay for your MATE bike monthly, through salary sacrifice, meaning there is no tax, national insurance or interest to pay on your purchase.
You can use Cyclescheme to purchase any MATE bike and accessories. Speak to your workplace HR to add this scheme if it isn’t in place.
For more info visit our cyclescheme page
Order Your Mate Bike Today
Contact Mate Bike
To learn more about the benefits of investing in and using an e-bike, contact Mate Bike today and start building your customised Mate Bike now!