This site has limited support for your browser. We recommend switching to Edge, Chrome, Safari, or Firefox.

Free shipping on all orders over £50

Do I need a license to ride a MATE bike ?

A license is not required for MATE bikes with 250W motors. As all 250W bikes are pre-set with a 15mph / 24kmh maximum speed, making them completely legal on public roads. The difference between the 250W and the 250+W is that the 250 model contains a 11Ah battery, and the 250+ contains the 14Ah battery, this does not affect the legality of the bike. 

All MATE bikes with motors above 250w are in full compliance with the requirements for most states in the US. The US eBike certificate is called CPSC1512. Please note that in the EU, Canada, Norway, and Switzerland, the MATE 750 is legal when riding on private property (not the public road). If in doubt, please check your local regulations.

Support from Mate

Search for help and FAQs